THE STRUCTURE OF DEATH IN DIALYSIS PATIENTS IN UZBEKISTAN

O SHARAPOV 1,2, B DAMINOV 1,2

1Tashkent Pediatric Medical Institute, Tashkent, Uzbekistan, 2Republican Specialized Scientific Practical Medical Center of Nephrology and Kidney transplantation, Tashkent, Uzbekistan

Aim: To study the causes of death of patients with ESRD in Uzbekistan.

Methods: We prospectively followed the course of 200 patients with CKD 5D in three different centers of the Republic of Uzbekistan for 24 months (from January 2018 to January 2020). All patients received hemodialysis according to the same scheme – 12 hours a week, through an arteriovenous fistula in the forearm. During this period, 72 patients died (40 men and 32 women). The average age of the deceased was 53.6±1.6 years. The main primary disease was chronic glomerulonephritis – 45.8% (n=33), diabetes – 27.8% (n=20), urolithiasis – 9.7% (n =7), pyelonephritis – 5.6% (n=4), ADPKD – 4.2% (n=3), vasculitis – 4.2% (n=3 ), lupus – 2.7% (n=2). Results. Among the deceased, 68.1% (n=49) of patients had CVD in their medical records, while 31.9% (n=23) did not have CVD. 43.1% (n=31) of patients died during the first year of follow-up, the remaining 56.9% (n=41) died within 2 years. The main cause of death of patients was sudden cardiac death, which accounted for 61.1% (n=44) of all deaths. 18.1% (n=13) of patients died as a result of acute respiratory failure. In 6.9% (n=5) cases, the cause of death was acute myocardial infarction. Death due to hepatic coma and stroke accounted for 5.6% (n=4) of patients who died. 2 (2.7%) patients died as a result of acute bleeding.

Conclusions: Dialysis patients in Uzbekistan die mainly due to cardiovascular accidents. The main place is taken by sudden cardiac death, which is the cause of death for more than 60% of deceased patients. Other causes were acute respiratory failure, acute myocardial infarction, coma, stroke, and acute bleeding


Biography:

PhD fellow

Recent Comments
    Categories